Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Not Too Far

My dog and I have been learning together what it takes to have great character. You see I will take him on a walk most of the time with a leash, because he is in training. Other times it is very important that I give him space to learn to have self-control so I'll lengthen his lead. The longer a walk we go on the better behaved he becomes and the more he listens to what I ask of him. He also seems more content to have me make the decisions about where and what we will do venturing only far enough to see what's up ahead then turning to find me.

I have found myself comparing my life to that of my dog in that the longer I walk with my Savior the the more I learn to recognize His voice and understand His movements. He is teaching me self-control by allowing me a longer leash, but I find I don't want to explore too far unless He leads me in that direction. Learning to trust in the One who holds my heart captive and understanding what He has done helps to build character in me. Though at times I pull on the end of my leash testing to see what He will do, He never fails to give correction when it is need. Lovingly He pulls me back to His side and reveals how much He truly does love me.

2 comments:

redeemed diva said...

I like your blog, and really enjoy this post. I like how God talks to us wherever we're at with whatever we're doing. Great thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I can relate because Charlie has recently had to learn how to go on walks. We had to get a special leash because otherwise he tugs so hard he chokes himself! I really like your analogy here, I can tell I am going to enjoy your blog.

Intimacy with the Creator

Intimacy with the Creator
Worship in Spirit & in Truth

Joy on a Leash

Joy on a Leash
Lessons of Life